Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Customer Service

I don't know, but maybe I am too old fashioned.  I believe in customer service.  Not " the customer is always right" but that the customer deserves for you to listen and try to help them.  I do not shop at Ralph's for this reason.  They seem to have - along with MUCH higher prices- an elitist attitude, something akin to Gelsons market.  It's "if you can't find it yourself, you shouldn't shop here"  Recently, I went to Ralph's to buy a Tap card. That's a bus pass.  I asked if they sold them, at the CUSTOMER SERVICE DESK.  "yes" the woman said, looking in the drawer where they kept them.  "Go to any checker"  She waves me away, then walks away from me, leaving me standing there.  I call out after her"Do you reload passes"  Only seniors, she yells over her shoulder.  Ok, then.  I get in one line, only to be told this checker has NO idea what I am talking about. I get into ANOTHER line.  The guy tells me they only load SET amounts AND the card will cost me TWO dollars ( which is one more than if I buy it at the subway station.)  Nope.  Not doing it.  Whenever I go to any Ralph's they don't want to tell you where anything is, just wave their arm in an arching gesture toward the general vicinity of the item in question with an "over there" answer.  No wonder I shop at Vons.

Back when I worke d in branch libraries, we were not supposed to answer patrons questions.  I could see not doing reference, but when I was shelving in the cookbooks and a patron asked me where the cookbooks are, it seemed silly to send them to the librarian and have them both troop back to where I was standing.  I would get that "lazy woker!" vibe from the patron, so I began saying "if I were standing in front of the books "generally, they are here ( making a sweeping gesture) but if you need something specific, please ask the librarian"  Also if they had a call number, I would help them find it.  It was better than acting as if I didn't KNOW where stuff was.  As a messenger-clerk ( that's what we call shelvers) I often knew the collection better than the librarian ( a sub or a part timer).  Heck I had my hands in it every day.

I know it's a different working world these days, but whatever happened to common courtesy? Not so common anymore I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Common courtesy is no longer common. While working for another library system as a Clerk, ALL staffers were required to take customer service training. Not just once but refresher courses as well - yearly.

    Too bad not everyone in business is taught that. Especially that everyone has two customer: external and internal.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!