Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sheriff John

I read, with some dismay this morning, that Sheriff John passed away at the age of 93.  He was such a big part of my childhood, as I am sure he was for a lot of my LA area baby boomer friends. By today' standards, the television shows that were produced locally, like Sheriff John and Engineer Bill would be considered cheesy. Who of our generation does not remember "Laugh and be happy" or "Put another candle on your birthday cake" ( which I believe was actually called the Birthday Polka)?   The article said he also led us in the Pledge of Allegiance and said a prayer before we all sat down to "have lunch" together.   It was a different  time.  Saying the Pledge was part of the daily ritual, people were more in line with the patriotic feeling of being an American,most of our fathers had fought in World War II or Korea. There was not a lot of talk about offending someone.  It makes me wonder if we don't give up our right to believe in something, if we don't follow OUR beliefs for fear of insulting someone.  my Dad used to say "your rights end at my nose"  I think about that sentiment a lot these days.

I remember being allowed to "eat" with Sheriff John and with Engineer Bill.  I actually remember meeting Engineer Bill.  They brought his Engine in on the back of a flatbed truck and he waved to all of us from the cab   What a thrill for a fan, huh?  

So rest in peace, Sheriff John. Thank you for reminding me to "Laugh and be happy" As someone said 10-7, end of watch (ironic that this IS also 10/7, 10-7 is police code for "Out of Service' or "end of Watch")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!