Thursday, January 16, 2020

Books and music

I am currently listening to an audio book in my car, but most days I listen to music  Pandora, because I can't figure out Spotify yet, because frankly I don't have time) 

The girl in the takeout at Queens asked me about it, I suppose I drive through there enough to be memorable, which is probably NOT a good thing, but they are a small business with great burgers and fun people working the window.

Occasionally I will hear a song that I am SURE is based on a book or short story and think about how much people who write music must read.

Neil Peart, the drummer for Rush who died earlier this month was legendary for taking stacks of books on the road with him in the early days of the band.  I wonder if he has a loaded Kindle in his later tours.

The song  Red Barchetta was inspired by a short story "A Nice Morning Drive" by Richard S. Foster.  One Day I am going to hunt the story down and read it.

The song that always strikes me is "Wooden Ships" by Crosby, Stills and Nash.  It retells "The Red Badge of Courage" by Stephen Crane.  I remember being in High School when I realized it and thought. "well, how cool is that?"

Other songs I can think of are:

Watership Down" by America  I think Gerry was writing a song for the film, which was not included.  They put in a song called "Bright eyes" by Art Garfunkel.  Nice song, but it slows the movie down, in my opinion.

Call Of the Wild - Also by America.  I can't remember the book ( I don't think I ever read it, so maybe I need to add it to my list of books I want to read)

Monster- Also by America ( a short story by Stephen Crane about a man who is horribly burned  saving a child and the community reaction to him)

Ramble On by Led Zepelin, which borrows heavily for the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Can you think of any books that are celebrated in song?




2 comments:

  1. The one that springs immediately to mind is Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights."
    I THINK her ghost has come back to haunt him - that stalker!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. But, of course, YOU are way tooooooooooooooo young to recall anything from the early 80's.
    You're welcome!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!