Saturday, January 4, 2020

Petrichor

 I am inside my apartment, and I haven't looked out the window yet.   I saw there might be a storm approaching, but I am sort of "Mona Lisa's and Mad Hatters" this morning.   ( "For unless they see the sky , and they can't and that is why, they know not if it's dark outside or light.")   It looks kind of grey out there.

I woke up wondering about the word for the smell of rain.  It turns out to be made up of the Greek word for stone and another word for the blood of the gods.  Interesting.   I remember reading a sweet story, where a critically ill little girl said that rain smelled like God holding you to his chest.   Funny how the ancient Greeks and this little girl associated rain with gods.

Australia could use some help from the gods in the form of rain.  Living in California, in an are often evacuated due to fire, I empathize with those in the way of  the fire.  It's terrifying and I am hoping that humans and Mother Nature will soon get the upper hand.  Many Christians believe the earth will end in fire, but who really knows.

I think Global warming will knock the humans off the top of the food chain.  We need to really take a look at what we are doing here, make some substantial changes to the way we treat the earth and maybe we have a shot.

1 comment:

  1. My theory is that the people who deny climate change are doing that because they are so lazy and stupid that by denying it, they don't have to bother to change their habits. Little Greta Thunberg is the object of much scorn and derision, because people don't want to admit that a young girl can tell them anything they don't want to hear - and trump is pissed that she was "Person of the Year" and he wasn't. Oh, as if.
    Now I rad that Meat Load says she has been "brainwashed." Well, remember the Bible, "A little child shall lead them." They just don't want to be led.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!