Monday, January 20, 2020

Vacation realities

I was looking forward to this little getaway trip to Laughlin this weekend. This was supposed to be the relaxing time we did not have over the Christmas holiday, when, although it had some pretty terrific moments, things went sideways.

I guess the travel gods were not through with us.

We were supposed to leave Friday night, but my car acted up and we were both far too tired to make a trip that the traffic site told us would take SIX- not four and a half hours.

Packing I could not find my new box of medication and it took forever to find it.  We finally got on the road.

We had a NICE stop for a late lunch at the Ludlow Cafe.  The pie was very good.  It is one of those truly old-timey places and if you are needing a break on the way to Laughlin, stop in,  The food was pretty good too.

The bloom is off the rose as far as Harrah's however.  Ok, so maybe I am grumpy, but this trip I have encountered more than my share of grouchy- and downright rude- employees.  The guy at the check in counter who fairly snapped at us when we asked about an upgrade ( which our confirmation email had instructed us to do)  He probably should have been off the desk and was grumpy about it.  The guy at the promotions booth- Josh- who did not want to serve run-of-the mill guests ONLY Seven  Stars guests ( those are the High Rollers and we ain't they!)  He was downright snippy.  The maid, who noting my ful ice bucket remarked on it as if I were stealing the ice ( it's free and they don't have refrigerators)

UGH. The food has been disappointing.  They won't let you substitute a salad for fries in the Beach Cafe  and the Guy Fieri taco place is gross.  even the drinks were weird.  I will do a full review on Stuff you can Stomach- my food blog- when I get home.

Dianne at the Beach Cafe saved the day and brought me something I could actually eat after THAT fiasco.  She and the bell desk people and the valet service are the bright spots in this hotel.

We did see the burros in Oatman and fed the alfalfa squares,  Chris bought me a wood carving of my name from a guy who looked a little sad and I think we made his day a bit better.

I did a lot of walking and my non-operated knee is barking.  I pressed Wheels back into service.  I will be talking to my primary care doctor about it.  The surgeon wants me to walk, but this knee is bone on bone and it HURTS!  Can't have the surgery until AFTER our England trip in April/May.

We are checking out and going home today.  I HOPE to take the water taxi up the river and get some breakfast.   Our car is still having an issue, think good thoughts for us to get home.


1 comment:

  1. If the pie was good, I need to know what kind!
    ENGLAND? I am so envious (maybe even jealous although that is one of the Seven Deadly Snns!) Haven't been since 2000, and miss it so. Want to go up into Yorkshire, and then into Scotland. Was supposed to go last year, but that friend totally flaked, and then went anyway on the trip WE had planned. HMPH! Then I decided to take myself to Scotland this past summer for the big birthday (never mind which one) but the price of indoor plumbing - I got screwed (and not in a good way) but indoor plumbing IS something I desire.
    So, have fun and fill me in on le details!
    Sorry this trip wasn't all you had hoped for.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!