Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Tuesday

At least it's not Monday, but frankly I could use more sleep, so this rambling blog may be a bit more off kilter than usual.

Yesterday, I was in the rental car, listening to the radio.  It was all about people calling in to talk about how Kobe's death impacted them.  I got tired of the memories that people had and switched it off to drive in silence.  Then I though about when John Lennon died, how people called the radio stations and each other, tho share the pain of a loss of someone they didn't really know, but whose life work impacted them in a positive way.  I am going to say this, although it might not be a popular sentiment.  He might have been an amazing basketball player, but he was also a rapist.  He was never convicted and I wonder why it never went to court, but at least one woman accused him of assault.  We will never know the truth of all of it.  Now, I have heard that afterward, he became less of a jerk, that he devoted himself more to his family and charity work, so maybe he did reform himself, and I do say that criminals should be allowed to become productive members of society after they pay for their crime, but did he pay for his crime?  Maybe he paid the woman, but frankly money does not heal the pain of that sort of thing.  You can never erase the memory of the event.  It comes back at you at the oddest moments.  The fear never really goes away.

Still, the City of Los Angeles will mourn the loss of one of its' sons and eight other people who died alongside him.  Maybe the laws  pertaining to flying in such weather will change.  They say the pilot was given special permission to fly based on the equipment in the plane which was supposed to be able to fly in zero visibility.  I hope so.  Maybe further deaths can be prevented.


2 comments:

  1. It still rankles with me that his epithet of "fucking faggot" was basically brushed aside, and he got a slap on the wrist and never actually apologized. Yes, I know, I am not voicing the popular sentiments, either. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. Some things are tolerated that should never be, simply because the person doing them is rich or famous. It is a sad commentary of our times, when we allow and encourage in some people things that we would never allow from our children.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!