Saturday, January 11, 2020

thinking about fame and duty

Yesterday, it was announced that the amazing drummer from Rush, Neil Peart, died on January 7.  He had been battling cancer for over three years.  His fanbase is stunned and after the initial shock wears off, there are bound to be people ( and I have seen them) who are upset that THEY were not notified of his illness.   Sorry, you didn't know this man and I think he gets to choose who knows and who doesn't.  As beloved as he was, news of this sort could have triggered just what he was probably trying to avoid, people trying to get in touch with him, to meet him,to take up what time he had left with his family to have THEIR 15 minutes with him.  He leaves behind a wife of almost 20 years and a very young daughter.  I am sure he spent as much time as he had making memories with them.  I can just envision what would have happened to him out in public if people knew about the diagnosis.  He did it right.  I am sure there will be gatherings of fans to mourn and to praise, to share grief and stories amongst ourselves.  Someone posted a quote I will try to remember for the future "Thinking about how we mourn artists we've never met.  We don't cry because we knew them, we cry because they helped us know ourselves."  



Peart was the author of several books, one about a long motorcycle trip he embarked on after the death of his daughter and his first wife, within 9 months of one another.   A good read and one I will probably revisit at some point in the near future.

I see Prince Harry has decided to step away from his "duties" to what they sometimes call "the Firm" and people are losing the minds about it.  I see his point.  No matter what he does, someone finds fault.  He grew up knowing what happened to his mother and is seeing parallels  in the media frenzy regarding HIS family.  He is NEVER going to be King and I am sure he is fine with that.  People cannot accept that Harry has a right to choose what he wants to do ( heck even William does for that matter, but I think he is going to be a fine king, if the monarchy is still in place when the time comes).  I am sure Harry will continue to do charitable things and make his mark in the world.  He and his wife have their own fortunes, they don't need  whatever "pay" he receives now.  I can't help but think his Mum would be cheering him on, proud of the man he has become.

I see "famous" people all the time. I don't think they "owe" me any of their time,on their own time.  I DO expect, if someone is at an appearance event that is part of their job, that they should be courteous at the very least ( I'm looking at YOU, Walter Mosley)  If someone is out with their family, LEAVE THEM ALONE.  Everyone deserves to be able to go out in public and be normal every once in a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!