Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Isn't thinking about nothing thinking about something?

Thinking about what to write is sometimes daunting and I am endeavoring to write SOMETHING every day.  Yesterday's piece was a well thought out farewell to the tree at Sunland Tujunga branch Library.  The ceremony was sweet and thoughtful and I think it was a proper sendoff.


Today I am thinking about  NOTHING.  More to the point I am thinking about how to clear my head, shut off my brain and just not hear anything going on in my head.  The hamster that drives my brain has been working overtime and there are days when I just get tired.

I know.  Mindful Meditation is the big thing these days.  My therapist actually suggested it a few years ago,  but she couldn't properly explain it, so I talked to the instructor of the class.  It was a six week class, culminating ( she enthused breathlessly) in EIGHT HOURS of not talking.

SAY WHAT?????


Uh.  Eight hours in a room full of people not saying anything?  Isn't that what it was like in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest"? 

No.  Just. No.  I can't go EIGHT MINUTES without something coming out of my mouth. and trying to think about nothing IS thinking about something after all is said and done.  I did not sign up for the class, nor do I saunter down to the class on Thursdays at Central Library, even if I do get cheerful reminders from the Senior Librarian who oversees the program.  

This weekend, my husband is taking me where I can see a river and relax.  I need to re-energize and get back on track.  Being near water is the best for me.   

1 comment:

  1. All I could think of when you said about the Cuckoo's Nest was that there are and have been, alas, PLENTY of Nurse Ratcheds at LAPL over the decades.
    I mention no names, but I bet at least some of those names would be on both our lists.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!