Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Name calling

Do you remember, being on the playground in Elementary school and someone calling you something that wasn't your name, but was meant to make fun of you?

Of course you do.

Do you remember that the teachers tried to address name calling as a terrible thing to do and your parents tried to teach you how to deal with it?

Of course you do.

Do you remember at some point realizing that name calling was a childish petty thing to do and it did not make you look superior or like a human being and that you were dealing with other human beings and differences were to be explored and celebrated, not mocked and belittled?

Of course you do.

What distresses me is that for the past three years, someone has occupied the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office and used his opposable thumbs to name call, presumably from the sanctity of his bathroom.  This is NOT a grown-up, in so many ways and yet his behavior is creeping toward the norm in American society.  We name-call more often than we ever did before. I find myself doing it and I should be ashamed of myself.  But it seems to be the only thing the Far right understand. 

I left elementary school in 1970.  I am going to try to remember that, every time someone I THOUGHT was intelligent tries to call me a name and every time some person who has NO logical point to make in a conversation defaults to abuse of this nature.

In the film  "War Games" the computer is taught a lesson about war it might behoove me to take to heart  "Strange game.  The only way to win is not to play"


1 comment:

  1. What I do recall is being told that old, tired cliche about sticks and stone.....but the truth is, names, or words CAN HURT!
    Of course, this is from a man who grew up being called "Fatty Four Eyes" by my own father.
    Also stupid, and, by both parents, lazy.
    So, yes, name calling IS mean and hurtful, and not mature, and along with those sticks and stones, can stick with you a long time and hurt you.
    AND YES! Cheetoh-Head (oops, I just called him a name) well, isn't that just another example of his immature, self-absorbed behavior?
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!